This article digs deep into the Microsoft Surface Book and why every college student should have one.
Microsoft Surface Book Review
The Surface Book comes with free Windows 10 (Renewable). The machine’s screen can be detached and used as a tablet. If you are a college student and are thinking of buying a powerful, high quality laptop, then Microsoft Surface Book is the machine you want.
Price of Surface Book
The Surface Book Laptop goes at starting price of $1500 to over $3000. The cost is extremely high, i wish it was a bit cheaper but if you want the most ultra premium machine on the market then you get what you pay for.
- 128GB SSD, 8GB RAM: $1,499 (Intel® Core™ i5 processor)
- 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM: $1,699 (Intel® Core™ i5 processor)
- 512GB SSD, 8GB RAM: $1,999 (Intel® Core™ i5 processor)
- 256GB SSD, 8GB RA: $1,899 (Intel® Core™ i7 processor)
- 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM: $2,499 (Intel® Core™ i7 processor)
- 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM: $2,999 (Intel® Core™ i7 processor)
Surface Book Keyboard
Microsoft Surface Book keyboard is one of the best. It feels smooth using it. However, if you spilled coffee on your keyboard and you need replacement then you are unlucky. Microsoft does not offer replacement but you might be interested to check one at ebay.
Surface Book Security
Surface Book comes with built-in antivirus, firewall, and internet protections. The machine is also password-free sign-in which means that you don’t have to unlock it with a password but with your facial recognition.
The display is perfect. It is incredibly bright. Screen: 13.5” PixelSense Display, Resolution: 3000 x 2000 (267 PPI), Aspect ratio: 3:2, and Touch: 10-point multi-touch.
Microsoft says the battery life has upto 12 hours of video playback. But many users say it has an average of 5 hours life. Be sure to find out more about that if you are keen on battery life.
The memory size is pretty good for college students. It comes with 8GB or 16GB RAM depending your section.
Cons/Negatives of Surface book
- Microsoft does not sell a replacement keyboard if your keyboard fails or gets damaged you have to go out looking for one somewhere else. It will take you a couple of days to get one. Even more frustrating is that the keyboard cannot be removed from the tablet, if by chance the battery on the keyboard or the main unit is drained.
- It is not good for gaming as it overheats and always crashes when subjected to high resource utilization conditions.
- You got to be very careful with Surface Book. The cost of replacing a cracked screen is ridiculous.
- Unlike the Surface pro which comes with usb port and micro sd slot, the Surface Book does not have one. If you want to play any media you have to use external wifi drives or store on internal memory
NOTE: Make sure you run all the update once you receive the laptop. There are some firmware updates that need to run to address some early hardware issues.
For any help email: SurfaceCustomerCare@microsoft.com or visit official website page